Job Announcement: Summer Camp Staff
We are hiring for all positions at Circle Pines Center summer camp! We are looking for everybody from: kitchen staff, unit counselors, work project leaders, health officers, cleaning specialists, and camp co-director! Please apply with the form below.
We want to keep you safe while you work at CPC Summer Camp 2023. We will be implementing a variety of mitigation measures such as: getting our summer staff access to the vaccine ASAP, providing assistance with testing 72 hours prior coming to camp, repeated rapid testing onsite (not the painful one though!), running camp outside, multiple staff lounges, running at a lower capacity, and pod-based activities. If there are other things that would help you feel comfortable working at camp, please let us know! We are offering a summer completion bonus this year.
Circle Pines Center hires support staff and seasonal positions to maintain the level of service and quality that our friends, members and camp families have come to expect. The positions described below are full-time, year-round. As a full-time seasonal CPC employee, a portion of your compensation will come in the form of room and board. Most full-time staff live on the property and keep irregular, albeit flexible, hours.
A crucial component of each position at Circle Pines is extending hospitality towards our members and guests during weekend events. Each position will also require involvement in summer camp programs (June-August). Interaction with youth and volunteers will be a large part of your position.
Short Job Descriptions
Counselors live on site for the summer and receive room and board.
- Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers in their living unit, within activities and throughout the camp in order to meet the intended camper outcomes.
- Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement and empowerment of youth.
- Assure campers are properly supervised at all times.
- Be aware of and implement safety guidelines.
- Responsible for leading and assisting with the teaching of activities.
- Actively participate in all program areas as assigned.
- Provide for the progression of activities within the framework of individual and group interests and abilities.
- Assist in program areas such as waterfront, nature, all camp activities, and arts and crafts as directed.
Kitchen staff can live on site for the summer and receive room and board, or commute.
- Assist in the daily operations of the camp food service.
- Assist in the preparation of food as the menu indicates including washing and peeling.
- Set up food, supplies, and utensils for dining hall distribution.
- Store food and leftovers at proper temperature.
- Assist in routine sanitation of the kitchen and related equipment.
- Clean and maintain all food-preparation and storage areas.
- Wash all dishes, serving and preparation equipment, and utensils according to regulated washing methods and temperatures.
- Reduce waste, reuse items, and recycle as indicated through the camp’s procedures.
- Assist in the preparation and packaging of food for use outside the camp dining hall.
- Work with cooks and other staff in reviewing pack out requests to ensure adequate and accurate amounts and variety.
- Prepare and store pack out food according to camp and health code procedures.
- Advise staff on equipment or preparation materials needed for identified menu choices.
This is a new role thanks to COVID-19. The health assistant will help with sanitation and assist the health officer with health related duties.
The greatest work can be accomplished when people are at peace with one another working toward a common goal. Understanding individual differences with a focus on grassroots activism and community brings a sense of unity and collaboration to CPC.
Cooperation cannot exist until all people have the same basic rights. Whether it’s summer camp or purchasing food, Circle Pines Center strives to implement and educate for social justice to create a more cooperative and equitable world.
Recognizing that humans have the power to change the planet for the better or for the worst, we believe that it is our role to be stewards of the environment. Protecting the environment through conservation and sustainable practices flows through all we do.
From special events to camp to community meetings, a shared sense of purpose and cooperative thinking enhance the quality of life at Circle Pines Center. Through daily work projects, conversations, and relationships, CPC instills the practice of cooperation as a way of life.
Summer Camp & Seasonal
Summer Camp is one of our most treasured programs. We devote the majority of our collective staff time and resources to developing this immersive experience, where the youth of all backgrounds and walks of life can spend time in nature together, learning to cooperate through work and play. We hire skilled and caring people, ages 18 and over, who love to work with children in an integrated, intergenerational, community setting. Are you passionate about social and environmental justice, movements of peace and equality, and/or the natural landscape of rural Michigan? Want to share that passion with a group of unique and inspiring kids as you learn and grow side by side? Summer staff must be available to work from June 29 to August 17, 2018. LGBTQ and people of color are especially encouraged to apply.